Car 1258 was built in 1974 by Boeing-Vertol in Philadelphia, Pa. Its development was funded by the Urban Mass Transit Administration, now known as the Federal Transit Administration, as part of a program to develop a standard light rail vehicle to replace the PCC car. Two groups of these cars were built, one group for San Francisco and one group for Boston. Due to the late completion of the MUNI‘s Market Street subway, some cars built for San Francisco were actually delivered to Boston and some of the Boston cars were actually delivered to San Francisco. This car was probably originally intended to be delivered to Boston. The car was retired by the MUNI when new cars for San Francisco were acquired from Italy. It was acquired by the Bay Area Electric Railroad Association on May 20, 2002.