It was built as Great Northern 078 in 1907 at their St Cloud, Minnesota shops. It was renumbered to 90124 in April 1914, to 90816 in March 1921, and X-344 in July 1926. Photographs indicate that this caboose may have spent some of its time working on the Great Northern electrification in the Cascade Mountains in Washington State. It was retired in October 1939 and sold to the McCloud River Railroad where it became their number 023. It was sold to A and K Ties in Oakland in 1962 after it was damaged in an accident on the McCloud. A and K donated the caboose to BAERA and it was moved to the Western Railway Museum.