The 1017 and 1018 are part of a 71 car order of U2s built bySiemens California at its plant in Florin (Sacramento), California,for the SDMTS's brand new light rail line which wasbeing constructed on the San Diego, Arizona, and EasternRailway between San Diego and San Ysidro. They are part ofthe first order of post-Boeing SLRV cars to be placed in servicein the US, and the overwhelming success of the SanYsidro line inspired the revival of interest in urban "light railvehicles" in the US, Canada, Mexico, and Central and SouthAmerica.Dates1981: both 1017 and 1018 built and delivered to SDMTS.10171981-2016: SDMTS 1017.2016: donated to the Bay Area Electric Railroad Associationby the SDMTS.2016: arrived Rio Vista Junction.
1981: 1018 built and delivered to SDMTS.
2014: donated to the Bay Area Electric Railroad Association2014: donated to the Bay Area Electric Railroad Associationby the Rockhill Trolley Museum, Rockhill Furnace,Pennsylvania.
2014: arrived Rio Vista Junction.