western railway museum banner train tracks

Sacramento Northern 1

Sacramento Northern 1

Description

Sacramento Northern Portable Substation #1, converts AC Sacramento Northern Portable Substation #1, converts AC distribution power to 600c DC for electric railway use. Automatic substations had only been recently developed by electrical engineer Bion J. Arnold, and #01 is the first portable version built for the electric railway industry. "Automatic" means that the sequence of events necessary for starting and shutting down the rotary converter occur in the proper order without a substation operator's needing to perform them.

History

Because of a 14 mile gap between Sacramento and the firstBecause of a 14 mile gap between Sacramento and the first substation to the north, by 1918, the SN had been experiencing significant low voltage problems with its 3rd rail voltage in the area when train traffic was heavy. So it contracted with GE fora portable substation to alleviate the situation. Housed in a boxcar, the substation was set up 6 miles north of Sacramento on a spur at a station named Del Paso, which was conveniently near the middle of the problem area.

It used an undervoltage relay and timer to sort out powerIt used an undervoltage relay and timer to sort out power demand from transient voltage fluctuations. Whenever the 3rd rail voltage dropped below the relay's setting, this started a time switch. If the undervoltage condition exceeded the timer's setting, this indicated a train was approaching, and the timer's switch would close to operate a motor-operated sequencing drum type controller which started the rotary converter, polarized its output to the correct polarity, and then put the substation on line.

Once 3rd rail power demand had slacked off after the train hadOnce 3rd rail power demand had slacked off after the train had left the area, an over voltage relay tripped another timer which ran down to filter out overvoltage transients and initiate a shutdown process, using the same motor-operated drum controller.

Eventually the SN constructed a permanent automatic substationEventually the SN constructed a permanent automatic substation at Del Paso.

Substation #01 has been set up for use at Rio Vista Junction onSubstation #01 has been set up for use at Rio Vista Junction on an isolated section of track. Other than removing the synchronous converter's armature once for servicing by GE, it has been serving faithfully ever since.

Dates

1920: assembled by SN for use at Del Paso.

1920-19??: used at Del Paso.

19??: replaced by permanent substation and building

1947: use of 3rd rail on the former Northern Electric discontinued.

1951: #01 moved to the WP's Jeffery Shops in Sacramento to1951: #01 moved to the WP's Jeffery Shops in Sacramento to power test track when testing the locomotives still being used in Yuba City and Marysville.

1965: #01 donated to Bay Area Electric Railroad Association.

1965/66: carbody unloaded from a flat car, trucks from a gondola1965/66: carbody unloaded from a flat car, trucks from a gondola at Rio Vista Junction, and re-assembled.

1967: isolated section of track constructed; #01 was placed in1967: isolated section of track constructed; #01 was placed in present location and set up for use.

Latter 1990s: building erected to protect the car's wood structureLatter 1990s: building erected to protect the car's wood structure from the weather.

  • Vintage Photo: Vintage Photo
  • Owners: Sacramento Northern 1
  • Technical Data: Built: 1920 Builder: Sacramento Norther Railroad Length over pulling faces: 43' 0" Width: 10' 2" Height: 14' 7" Weight: 80,000
  • Trucks: Arch bar.
  • Air Brake Equipment: System: WABCo KC1012
  • Misc Data: Couplers: Janney type C, MCB
  • Current Condition: Portable Substation #01 is operational and used with the manual start-stop configuration of 1951 to power WRM's demonstration railway one weekend per month. The carbody's siding has recently been replaced.
  • Proposed Future Treatment: Replace siding when manpower and materials are available.
  • Date Last Modified: Saturday, 04 June 2011
  • Additional Photo 1: Additional Photo 1
  • Photo 1 Caption: SN #1 with doors open
  • Additional Photo 2: Additional Photo 2
  • Photo 2 Caption: Equipment inside of large door.
  • Additional Photo 3: Additional Photo 3
  • Photo 3 Caption: Equipment inside of small door.

Hours

Year Round
Saturdays & Sundays
10:30 am – 5:00 pm

Summer Hours
(June 13th - August 18th)
Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays & Sundays
10:30 am to 5:00 pm

Museum Location

5848 State Highway 12
Suisun City, CA 94585

(707) 374-2978

Contact Us


familysdayout