These cars ran in trains across the Bay Bridge and in East Bay streets from 1939 to 1958. This car is currently configured in the Key System (pre1948) appearance. Bay Bridge service replaced ferryboat service from the East Bay to San Francisco in 1939. These units ran in trains of up to 7 units on five lines in the East Bay. They are equipped with coded cab signals and speed control. Some units were built using equipment from older Key System cars. All three of the Museum’s Units were made mostly from new equipment. In 1936 Key System entered into an agreement with the California Toll Bridge Authority in return for funds to provide cab signals, train stop equipment and other modifications for operation across the Bay Bridge. The 186 was one of these cars deeded to and passed to the Authority on abandonment of service in 1958.