Car 52 was built in 1903 by the American Car Company for the Los Gatos Interurban Railway Company as their number 4. It also had the name “Granger". The Southern Pacific consolidated the electric lines around the San Jose area into the Peninsular Railway in 1909. At that time the car was renumbered to 52. The car was converted to one-man operation, but the system continued to lose money and passenger service was discontinued in 1934. The electrical and mechanical equipment was stripped from the car and the body was sold and used as a sewing room outside a residence in San Jose until it was acquired by the Museum in June 1969. The car was restored to its 1910 appearance and returned to operating condition in the Museum’s shop. The trucks were salvaged from Traction Company line car number 5.