The car was built by the St. Louis car company in St Louis, Mo. in 1911. It was used in streetcar service in the East Bay Area until 1948. It was heavily rebuilt over its life and has had several different corporate ownerships, but it always used in the same service area. These ownership changes resulted in many different paint schemes and names being on the car over its lifetime, but it always retained the same number. When the car was retired it was stripped of electrical and mechanical equipment and used as a storage shed behind a house in the Berkeley hills. The car was restored in the Museum’s shop to its current operating condition in 1985 using parts acquired all over the world. The car is currently in its 1931 appearance.