Car 14 was built prior to 1905 and remained on the same propertyCar 14 was built prior to 1905 and remained on the same property over its entire operation life. The railway operation changed hands three times. SEG&R was taken over by Pacific Gas and Electric Company in 1906, but the railway's name wasn't changed until 1915. PG&E, in turn, sold its streetcar operations to National City Lines at the beginning of WWII.
As built, the car had a flat front with exposed posts. It also hadAs built, the car had a flat front with exposed posts. It also had fixed side sash, which is an unusual feature for Sacramento, a city notorious for its hot summers, and was equipped with a single trolley pole mounted in the middle of the car. #14 is one of the group of "rope brake" cars, which used power-assisted hand braking. The mechanism consisted of a rope about 2" in diameter between the hand brake staff and the brake levers on the car. In between, it was fed one turn around a capstan mounted on the leading axle of the front truck, with the same arrangement at the opposite end. Using the hand brake lever to pull on the rope caused the rope to tighten around the capstan, which in turn produced an even greater pull on the brake levers. There was a second brake lever which was directly connected to the brake rigging for use in parking the car and whenever a rope broke. This rope brake apparatus was replaced by air brakes by 1930.
The car was extensively rebuilt over its lifetime by the installationThe car was extensively rebuilt over its lifetime by the installation of two trolley poles, addition of screens and sliding gates to the open sections, the later replacement of the screens and gates later by paneling and folding doors, the sash being modified so it could be opened, and installation of air brakes.
c1905-1915: SEG&R 14.
1927: converted to air brakes.
1943-1947: Sacramento City Lines 14.
1947-????: disposition unknown.
????: arrived at Rio Vista Junction.